My kind of town: Shedd Aquarium

This summer I took Charlie to the Shedd Aquarium. When I told him we were going to the aquarium, he told me that he wanted to bring a fishing pole. I tried get him to understand why we couldn’t do that but he didn’t get it. To him his logic was flawless: I like to eat fish, they have fish there, let’s catch some. Thankfully we don’t own fishing poles so I was able to redirect him.

Charlie is very intrigued by jellyfish ever since my husband told him that when Chinese people get married they eat jellyfish. It is a Chinese custom and yes, my husband and I ate jellyfish at our Chinese wedding reception. Well, Charlie now wants to get married so that he can eat jellyfish. He has mentioned marrying a little boy in his class, also me, and/or my husband. All to get a sample of jellyfish.

When I see a jellyfish, I don’t think “food.”

I just love how they move.

This shot of white jellyfish was my desktop background for a little while and from a far Charlie thought it looked like a “tar” (guitar). Sure does.

They dip and roll.

Here Charlie is with his “noculars” — he’s explaining something to me, as usual.

We found Nemo!

There’s where Nemo likes to hang out these days.

They have short movies (12 minutes) in 3D. The two of us saw the “Dora” movie. This is a rare treat because TV is only watched on special occasions at our house.

I took this shot from the window of Shedd’s cafeteria. The Shedd is on a strip of land that juts out in the lake so the vistas back towards the city are tremendous.

Looking at this shot all I’m thinking is…I miss summer!

(I’m doing a series on Chicago and sharing photos I’ve taken around my city. I love it here. This is part of NaBloPoMo — National Blog Posting Month. I’m endeavoring to post every day in November).

8 Responses to My kind of town: Shedd Aquarium

1. Tacomamama November 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

What a sweet, funny story. Beautiful photos, too.

2. Cortney November 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Shedd is an amazing place to be. I’ve been there a few times on my trips to Chicago and it never gets old. I love the Field History museum even more! I look forward to your “Chicago” series of posts, it makes me want to go back soon!

3. Kim November 19, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Summer in Chicago is the BEST! I miss summer too…

P.S. I love your blog!

4. Tracy November 21, 2011 at 1:17 am #

Charlie sounds like a super cool kid! And the Nemo bit reminds me of my trip to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, where kids went nuts with excitement over Nemo.

5. JoAnn November 21, 2011 at 7:58 am #

How beautiful! I love days like that with kids…they get so big, too fast. Thanks for sharing.

6. J. Smith November 21, 2011 at 10:56 am #

I had totally forgotten about eating jellyfish! When I studied abroad in China we went to a really fancy restaurant for one of our special “cultural enrichment” activities and we were served jellyfish as an appetizer. I remember not wanting to eat it.at.all. But the Chinese hosts were so excited to give us this dish. I ate some and while I don’t think I would go out of my way to have it again, it wasn’t horrible!

7. Katie January 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Chicago Rocks 🙂 I love your blog. I’m at NEIU studying to teach high school English. I love reading your blog because its like a glimpse into CPS before I get there (if I do… i’m not so keen on moving out of Oak Park, I love my apartment) Thanks for all your great posts.

• Mrs Q January 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm #