Celery Love

I chopped up some celery to make myself a throwback snack “Bumps on a log” (celery with peanut butter in the groove and raisins “ants” lined up on top). I chopped off the end of the celery and here was a green rose.

8 Responses to Celery Love

1. brittany January 24, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

i'm a school teacher in trenton, nj (urban) and i love reading your blog. my kids get exactly the same food. and it scares me because it might be their only meal of the day. i am not down for eating it for a whole year (especially since i'm trying to lose weight and eat clean myself), but i AM trying to make the kids aware of what they put in their bodies. i am thinking about starting up some kind of initiative where students consciously try and bring in healthy snacks for 2 months or something like that and we'll see how it sticks. i teach spanish and i just bought zumba dvds to do with the kids!! check out my blog: senoritagordita.wordpress.com (i'm just getting started).

happy sunday!

2. the rabbi's wife January 24, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

That celery rose also makes a neat vegetable stamp. way better than having to carve a potato.

3. KatyBelle January 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm #

That's really pretty!

4. Jamie January 25, 2010 at 12:16 am #

My mom used to let us stamp shirts with the celery rose. I've enjoyed reading your blog daily. When I was a child we had good school lunches (at a small Iowa school district), much more balanced. It wasn't until I was sitting in hs classrooms (low socio-economic schools) observing during college that I saw others weren't as lucky as I was to have a balanced school lunch. These students were eating a la carte at lunch with most eating fried food and pizza every day. I am glad you are speaking out.

5. foodieonweightwatchers January 25, 2010 at 4:53 am #

I love what you are doing! I think it is so brave. I am interested to see where this takes you.

6. JR January 25, 2010 at 5:43 am #

Your doing a great job. With all the programs and websites promoting healthier school lunches you'd think the movement was strong. Not so. I feel your pain.

7. Shelle January 25, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

Oh i can't wait to read thru your site….i don't have time right now as i just clicked thru on a link.

Do you know about the school that changed it's whole lunch program and started making wholesome meals on site?

8. Anonymous February 1, 2010 at 7:50 am #

We use to call the celery, peanut butter, raisins "ants on a log" my mom worked for head start, I think it was a way to get the kids to think it was a fun snack.