Today’s menu: cheese ravioli, carrots, bread (I got only one slice today), orange I was offered “popcorn chicken” or “cheese ravioli” and so I chose the latter in the spirit of trying something new. Poor things only won the “runner up” prize to a processed chicken product….that was my first “red flag.” Those ravioli look as tired […]
Today’s menu: pasta with meat sauce (or meat sauce with pasta), spinach, pear, “soft” breadstick Yeah for spinach! Another new thing. It tasted good to me even though it didn’t seem to be seasoned at all. Thankfully you can’t overheat it to bitterness like collard greens. Unfortunately if the kids don’t know that it’s not […]
Today’s menu: sausage pizza, fruit cup, carrots, ranch dressing Sausage pizza is a new one. Before it was “pepperoni” pizza, which referred to not large circles of pepperoni, but small squares of….who knows. (Click here to examine all the school lunch pizza I have eaten). I ate everything and went on with my day. It’s […]
Today’s menu: sloppy joes, whole wheat buns, beans and rice, unsweetened applesauce Looky here, we have a new menu item again! Wow. The sloppy joe wasn’t baaad…but it was sure messy. I would have taken a picture if my hands weren’t covered in sloppy joe fixings. The “joe to bun” ratio was a little skewed in favor of […]
Today’s menu: bagel dog, fries, sun chips, fruit cup (it was frozen — which doesn’t happen that often actually). I’m not a fan of the bagel dog. It’s not ”real” food in my opinion. But I ate it. Not all the bread though because it was mushy. The picture below is of the inside of the bagel […]
I saw How do you cope with toxic information overload? over on Healthy Child, Healthy World and it resonated with me. Having just watched Food, Inc last weekend, bad food, good food, ugly food has been on a loop over and over in my mind ever since. I thought that the movie wouldn’t bother me, but […]
Today’s menu: cheese pizza, salad, orange, popcorn chips. I’m so excited about the return of salad! I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth and wish for more veggies (like you guys commented on last week Friday). Anyway, I was happy again. I just couldn’t eat the whole pizza today, but I ate […]
Today’s menu: chicken nuggets (baked), collard greens, corn muffin, grapes I made sure to look over the menu (yesterday was not “rib-b-que” but “meatloaf,” which really makes no difference at all — it’s just a name) and noticed that the chicken nuggets say “baked.” That is good, but they are still nuggets full of fillers. The […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- LeonidasSaber: great post. but one question why bash gelatin? ya ...
- ENGAGING COMMUNITY: ART AND FOOD IN BALTIMORE CITY | SEAJ: […] “Fed Up with Lunch” Accessed March 1...
- Carmen: I grew up in Puerto Rico and I remember that the o...
- Julianna: In our republic, the USA is founded on the people ...
- Kay: This is an interesting article. You can ask a thou...
- Is School Lunch a Right or a Privilege? February 26, 2014
- Is Education a Right or a Privilege? What Your Answer Says about You January 28, 2014
- Why I Dropped Out of the School Food Reform Movement and What We Need to Do Now December 31, 2013
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013