June’s Titanium Spork Award Winner, Laura DeSantis, agreed to write a little acceptance speech. Her words appear below. I appreciate everything she does on behalf of her school kids every day! Thank you Chef Laura for your dedication and hard work! Thank you to all who voted for Marblehead Community Charter Public School (MCCPS). It’s […]
The winner is: Laura DeSantis Congrats! If you want more information of about Laura, you’ll have to check out this blog post Model School Food Program in Marblehead, Massachusetts from Ali’s Brave New Lunch. Ms. DeSantis incorporates curriculum and food (e.g. they read ”Three Cups of Tea” and made Pakistani curry). Parents also volunteer in the kitchen and kids clean […]
Six months down… June stats: 12 school lunches eaten:(2 – pizza lunches) (3 – burger-like lunches)(2 – chicken lunches)(1 – hot dog lunch)(1 – pasta lunches)(1 – PB and J sandwich)(1 – chili)(1 – cheese sandwich) *** (5 – fruit cups)(6 – carrots)(0- apples)(1 – bananas) (2 – beans)(1 – broccoli)(1 – orange) (0 – green beans)(1 […]
After six months of eating school lunch, the blood work reveals…. …very few changes. Check out my nifty embedded spreadsheet which shows the results of two previous years of lab testing (I am tested every year to get a discount on our health insurance). Skip to recap below if you want to… The numbers: Glucose – up […]
I ended up volunteering at an elementary school on a day almost two weeks ago, and while I was there, I decided to eat lunch just to see what was available to kids in the Denver metro area, as opposed to wherever Mrs. Q is located. I love that I probably wouldn’t have thought of eating […]
Top picture: my lunch; Bottom picture (clockwise from top): Brianna’s dressing, “Primo Taglio” turkey slices, cheddar cheese, Fage 2% greek yogurt, EarthGrains 100% natural thins, organic baby spinach Thanks to everyone who commented on Pimp my lunch: tuna melt. Your feedback was *amazing* — I can’t thank you enough. There is much for me to learn […]
School Meals That Rock I can understand being fed up with school lunch – and I can also understand being an angry mom. In fact, my concerns about my children’s school lunches 20 years ago are what initially drove me to become active in creating healthy school environments. My name is Dayle Hayes. As a […]
I just opened up the poll for June (running a tad late) so please vote when you the chance. There were only four nominees this time around so it won’t take you long to cast your vote! *** Last month’s winner Lisa Suriano of Veggiecation recorded an acceptance speech on her blog, which you can […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- Abby: Doesn't not feeding your child constitute as chil...
- nick: School Lunches should government expose restrictio...
- Carl Joe Wright: I strongly agree with your statement" You know wh...
- hello i am a salty pancake: i am a salty pancake i should be on the lunch menu...
- Tobi Lowe: I think kids should be aloud to carry waterbottles...
- Is School Lunch a Right or a Privilege? February 26, 2014
- Is Education a Right or a Privilege? What Your Answer Says about You January 28, 2014
- Why I Dropped Out of the School Food Reform Movement and What We Need to Do Now December 31, 2013
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013