courtesy: yesvegetarian.com got health? My regular doctor recommended that I see a doctor in the practice that specializes in Integrative Medicine. My appointment was last week. It’s awkward to tell people about the blog. In this case, it was easier because after I spilled my guts, the doctor said, “I’ve been to your blog.” Meeting in […]
How you doin’? It’s been almost three weeks since I stopped eating school lunches. How’m I doin’? Better. Since those test results revealed that my body is not happy eating gluten and dairy (non-Celiac gluten sensitivity), I knew that after the project I would have to remove gluten and dairy completely from my diet, to see if my digestive issues would go away. Starting with the […]
Today’s menu: hamburger, whole wheat buns, potato wedges, apple and a lot of ketchup When the plastic came off over the burger compartment, there was this aroma. It was the smell of processed meat. I turned away and told myself, “Just a few more days.” To choke it down, I had to use a lot of […]
Today’s menu: bagel dog, fries, fruit cup I smelled it. About 20 feet from the cafeteria, I smelled dough. And then the aroma of hot dog followed. Gulp. One of the lunch ladies offered me a choice: bagel dog or chili. I could have chosen the chili, but another teacher just bought the chili in front of me. […]
Today’s menu: cheeseburger, whole wheat buns, baked beans, pear The patty looks odd, right? I’m puzzled as to how the cheese got pock-marked. It almost looks like it was dribbled on there, but I think that it must have been placed on as a slice and then it melted during the (re)heating process…then the condensation […]
Today’s menu: salisbury steak, spinach, bread, fruit cup Processed meat…yummy… it’s hard to choke it down, but I ate the whole patty. I’m able to do that because I make sure I’m really hungry at lunch. Some of you have wondered if I pack my own lunch in addition to buying school lunch. You don’t […]
No one slept last night (Wednesday night). The little one has an ear infection. At about 3 am I realized that it would be really hard for me to be coherent at work. When I woke up dizzy at 8 am, I thought about pushing myself to work even though I’d be late…. but it would have […]
Today’s menu: pepperoni pizza (whole wheat/grain crust), fruit cup (pears/pineapple), baby carrots, ranch dressing Oh hi pizza, we’ve been there done that before, eh? Remember when Brave New Lunch told us pizza like this has 62 ingredients? Oh yes, that was a revelation. So good, down to the last 62nd filler! Seriously though, the pizza is […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- Dawn: Unlike the more recent topic of school lunches, I ...
- Dawn: It is a privilege. The parents should be in charge...
- LeonidasSaber: great post. but one question why bash gelatin? ya ...
- Carmen: I grew up in Puerto Rico and I remember that the o...
- Julianna: In our republic, the USA is founded on the people ...
- Is School Lunch a Right or a Privilege? February 26, 2014
- Is Education a Right or a Privilege? What Your Answer Says about You January 28, 2014
- Why I Dropped Out of the School Food Reform Movement and What We Need to Do Now December 31, 2013
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013