Four months down… April stats: 19 school lunches eaten:(4 – pizza lunches) (2 – burger-like lunches)(4 – chicken lunches) (2 - tex-mex lunches)(1 – hot dog lunch)(1 – pasta lunch)(2 – cheese sandwiches)(1 – bean burrito)(1 – meatball sub)(1 – chili) … (7 – fruit cups) (5 – carrots) (3 – apples)(3 – bananas) (4 – beans)(1 […]
And the winner is…. Jamie Oliver The poll results: 1) Jamie Oliver — 521 votes (55%) 2) Ed Bruske from The Slow Cook — 174 (18%) 3) Michelle Obama — 111 (11%) I agree that Jamie Oliver deserves a titanium spork because he has elevated the school lunch discussion to the national level through his […]
Joon-Yee Chuah is a math teacher in Austin, TX who has a culinary science and anthropology elective for 6th grade students. You can read about his misadventures at his blog: http://whyhenrycooks.blogspot.com/ or you can view pictures from Kitchen Day 2 on Picasa. Kitchen Day! Hi, everyone! I’ve been reading this blog for a while and […]
Today’s menu: pizza, baby carrots, fruit cup, pretzels, milk The pizza doesn’t look too bad today, right? I’ve said it before but the french bread version is better than the plain pizza. The crust is really thick so there is less of a chance that it will got soggy. In fact it holds up pretty […]
Reconnecting with Our Food: Growing America’s Organic Farms I am a 25-year-old organic farmer. I do not have my own farm, but I work full-time on an organic farm in Austin, Texas. My dream is to own a farm with my fiancée, Travis, and provide organic produce directly to our community. I have been reading […]
Today’s menu: tex-mex (turkey meat over rice & corn), beans, tortilla chips, fruit jello, milk Yeah! It’s one of my favorite meals; it’s like real food. I also feel full for a long time after this meal. The beans are good, but I didn’t even open the tortilla chips — there just is no time. […]
Hello, I am Chef Timothy Cipriano, Executive Director of Food Services for New Haven, CT Public Schools; proud father of 3 children; strong supporter of Farm to School programs; Co-chair of Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation New Haven, a fundraiser to end childhood hunger and I have a monthly cooking segment on the […]
Today’s menu: hamburger, whole wheat buns, fruit bar, and tater tots I left the lunchroom with my tray and a little girl caught a glimpse of the red packaging of the fruit icee and screamed with delight,“ice cream!” I’m not going to comment on the lunch as I have eaten this same kind of thing […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- Dawn: Unlike the more recent topic of school lunches, I ...
- Dawn: It is a privilege. The parents should be in charge...
- LeonidasSaber: great post. but one question why bash gelatin? ya ...
- Carmen: I grew up in Puerto Rico and I remember that the o...
- Julianna: In our republic, the USA is founded on the people ...
- Is School Lunch a Right or a Privilege? February 26, 2014
- Is Education a Right or a Privilege? What Your Answer Says about You January 28, 2014
- Why I Dropped Out of the School Food Reform Movement and What We Need to Do Now December 31, 2013
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013