Four months down… April stats: 19 school lunches eaten:(4 – pizza lunches) (2 – burger-like lunches)(4 – chicken lunches) (2 - tex-mex lunches)(1 – hot dog lunch)(1 – pasta lunch)(2 – cheese sandwiches)(1 – bean burrito)(1 – meatball sub)(1 – chili) … (7 – fruit cups) (5 – carrots) (3 – apples)(3 – bananas) (4 – beans)(1 […]
And the winner is…. Jamie Oliver The poll results: 1) Jamie Oliver — 521 votes (55%) 2) Ed Bruske from The Slow Cook — 174 (18%) 3) Michelle Obama — 111 (11%) I agree that Jamie Oliver deserves a titanium spork because he has elevated the school lunch discussion to the national level through his […]
Joon-Yee Chuah is a math teacher in Austin, TX who has a culinary science and anthropology elective for 6th grade students. You can read about his misadventures at his blog: http://whyhenrycooks.blogspot.com/ or you can view pictures from Kitchen Day 2 on Picasa. Kitchen Day! Hi, everyone! I’ve been reading this blog for a while and […]
Today’s menu: pizza, baby carrots, fruit cup, pretzels, milk The pizza doesn’t look too bad today, right? I’ve said it before but the french bread version is better than the plain pizza. The crust is really thick so there is less of a chance that it will got soggy. In fact it holds up pretty […]
Reconnecting with Our Food: Growing America’s Organic Farms I am a 25-year-old organic farmer. I do not have my own farm, but I work full-time on an organic farm in Austin, Texas. My dream is to own a farm with my fiancée, Travis, and provide organic produce directly to our community. I have been reading […]
Today’s menu: tex-mex (turkey meat over rice & corn), beans, tortilla chips, fruit jello, milk Yeah! It’s one of my favorite meals; it’s like real food. I also feel full for a long time after this meal. The beans are good, but I didn’t even open the tortilla chips — there just is no time. […]
Hello, I am Chef Timothy Cipriano, Executive Director of Food Services for New Haven, CT Public Schools; proud father of 3 children; strong supporter of Farm to School programs; Co-chair of Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation New Haven, a fundraiser to end childhood hunger and I have a monthly cooking segment on the […]
Today’s menu: hamburger, whole wheat buns, fruit bar, and tater tots I left the lunchroom with my tray and a little girl caught a glimpse of the red packaging of the fruit icee and screamed with delight,“ice cream!” I’m not going to comment on the lunch as I have eaten this same kind of thing […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- MathNerd314: In my experience, Aldi stores vary based on locati...
- Mrs Q: Yes, there are pleasant discoveries at Aldi. I lov...
- Nicole H.: woohoo! We mainly shop at SuperTarget. I do occa...
- AmyRyb: I went back to Aldi's specifically for their glut...
- Carole: did you pick a winner ? :)...
- Giveaway winner is… and grocery shopping where?? July 20, 2014
- Summer reading giveaway (eight great books)! June 28, 2014
- Plant Your Own Fail Garden: Meet My Rabbit-Proof Test Plot June 17, 2014
- Getting to Yum Giveaway Winner! June 13, 2014
- Book Review and Giveaway: Getting to Yum – The 7 Secrets to Raising Eager Eaters May 27, 2014