I was assigned to lunch duty to fill in for someone a few weeks ago. I didn’t know exactly what to expect. There was no training. The lunch room was loud and full of kids moving and yelling and jumping. That’s what I normally hear and see when I walk by the cafeteria to get […]
Chef salad; sweet potatoes; pear; salad bar fixings; saltines Chef salad (deli meat, cherry tomatoes, cheese, lettuce) was the main entree with the mashed sweet potatoes as the veggie and the pear as the fruit. Then I went through the salad bar for some yummy spinach salad with black beans. Now that I’m gluten free I […]
Tex-mex without the black beans… Looking through some of my old school lunch photos makes me oddly hungry! Like totally ravenous…it’s got to be the pregnancy, but I really did like that Tex-mex meal. Anyway, Chronicle Books Blog interviewed me to find out what I’ve been up to since launching the book last year as well as […]
Image courtesy: Never Seconds A 9 year old student from Scotland is photographing her school lunch every day and sharing it with the world. Her blog is called Never Seconds and much like I did in 2010, she takes a picture of her lunch and blogs about it. She calls herself “Veg” and she only […]
There is no kids’ food in French school lunches. Don’t believe me? I’m not surprised—given what most people believe to be the average school lunch that our kids eat. French kids eat very differently at lunch: tasty, healthy, scratch-cooked, three or four course meals every day. And they do this for an average of $3 […]
Turkey burger with daiya cheese; bread and ketchup; brownie; pears; carrots and broccoli; fruit smoothie When people oppose school lunch reform, one of the comments I hear is “Parents should just pack a lunch for their kids.” If I hear that in the next week, I will have to hold myself back from laughing maniacally in […]
Last year the Center for Ecoliteracy introduced an amazing school food guide entitled, Cooking with California Food in K-12 Schools. The cookbook is available for free download (how can you resist?) on their website http://www.ecoliteracy.org/cooking-with-california-food, but I was lucky enough to get it mailed to me to review. It’s a cookbook, people. A school food cookbook […]
It’s a stock photo, but aside from the nuggets and the chocolate milk this lunch looks good to me — there’s fresh fruit and raw veggies! (photo credit) I’m sure many of you have already heard about the story of how the a child’s packed lunch was deemed “unhealthy” and the student was given a chicken […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- Abby: Doesn't not feeding your child constitute as chil...
- nick: School Lunches should government expose restrictio...
- Carl Joe Wright: I strongly agree with your statement" You know wh...
- hello i am a salty pancake: i am a salty pancake i should be on the lunch menu...
- Tobi Lowe: I think kids should be aloud to carry waterbottles...
- Is School Lunch a Right or a Privilege? February 26, 2014
- Is Education a Right or a Privilege? What Your Answer Says about You January 28, 2014
- Why I Dropped Out of the School Food Reform Movement and What We Need to Do Now December 31, 2013
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013