Today over 200 food bloggers are standing up and reminding us that hunger exists in the US, even when we don’t see it on a daily basis or experience it personally. Nicole Gulotta of The Giving Table has organized an event called Food Bloggers Against Hunger. Now is a critical moment because cuts are being proposed […]
Last year the Center for Ecoliteracy introduced an amazing school food guide entitled, Cooking with California Food in K-12 Schools. The cookbook is available for free download (how can you resist?) on their website http://www.ecoliteracy.org/cooking-with-california-food, but I was lucky enough to get it mailed to me to review. It’s a cookbook, people. A school food cookbook […]
A couple weeks ago I was able to volunteer at the Greater Chicago Food Depository with Feeding America. You can sign up as a group or an individual for a three hour Wednesday night volunteering session and it was perfect for me. The Greater Chicago Food Depository (GCFD) is one of the largest food banks […]
I wrote this for Babble.com and I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please click over to read… 5 Ways Parents Can Improve School Lunch
When I revealed myself on October 5th, the day my book was published, I received a friendly email from nutrition services of Chicago public schools, reaching out to me and suggesting a meeting. I replied immediately that I would love to meet and chat about school lunch in the district. We finally coordinated all our schedules […]
The last and final installment about my series on Cooking up Change. Read the first and second part to get caught up. Back to the Bridgeport Art Center where the place was filling up with hungry guests. From North-Grand High School: “The NG Spiced Turkey Wrap, Sweet and Spicy Rice, Nine Treasure Salad” From Manley […]
I’ve developed a visual that I’m going to use when I teach the new rules to my students, many of whom have special needs. I think my terrific graphic about sums up yesterday’s ruling by Congress to amend the regulations to continue to allow pizza to be a vegetable. I’m hoping my students will grasp […]
On Thursday November 3rd I attended Cooking up Change, which is organized by the Healthy Schools Campaign. Cooking up Change is an event where high school students involved in culinary programs are challenged to create a healthy school lunch. From the Healthy Schools Campaign website: The contest challenges students to create a great-tasting school lunch […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- Abby: Doesn't not feeding your child constitute as chil...
- nick: School Lunches should government expose restrictio...
- Carl Joe Wright: I strongly agree with your statement" You know wh...
- hello i am a salty pancake: i am a salty pancake i should be on the lunch menu...
- Tobi Lowe: I think kids should be aloud to carry waterbottles...
- Is School Lunch a Right or a Privilege? February 26, 2014
- Is Education a Right or a Privilege? What Your Answer Says about You January 28, 2014
- Why I Dropped Out of the School Food Reform Movement and What We Need to Do Now December 31, 2013
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013