Guess what? My husband went to a canning class. He’s such a good sport. We’re both highly motivated because we have a Concord grape vine in our backyard. Well, we rent so it’s not technically our vine, but it’s sitting there producing pretty purple grapes. Our first year here (two years ago) we actually tried making […]
I guess I’m a flip-flopper. Appropriate since people are already campaigning. I’ve discussed my dislike of fruit cups because of added sugar and the syrup. But I might be coming around to fruit and veggie preservation. Taking on the CSA box of veggies every other week has made me more aware of the seasonality of fruits […]
I’ve got news. My son is attending a new day care. While we have really loved a lot about the old place, I ended up checking out a new place about five months ago. I liked it, but I wasn’t ready to uproot my son. This summer I wasn’t super thrilled with his day care. […]
Thanks to everyone who responded to my survey “Eating lunch.” A whopping 541 people completed the survey! Here are the results: 1. Do you eat lunch every day? (Answered question = 523) Yes 89.3% (467) No 10.7% (56) Other (31) — People responding “other” told me that sometimes you forget, are too busy, or you might eat a […]
There is a nameless, faceless epidemic in our country. It’s called hunger. According to Feeding America, 16.6% of Americans are food insecure. That’s more than 50 million Americans. It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around that number. But it’s happening, in urban centers and in rural parts of our country. What does “food insecurity” really mean? […]
Edited to add: I have had this post queued up for awhile — finally decided to publish it even though it’s super weird… Flashback. June 2011. It was the last couple days of school. Kids were gone. I was cleaning my room and boxing up tons of stuff. I wiped surfaces and peered at items on […]
I’m going on vacation for a few days. I briefly considered blogging while I’m gone, but I won’t have reliable internet where I’m going taking a break is healthy. I need a short rest before what could be the busiest months I’ve experienced all year. Before I leave, I wanted to share this amazing article that was in […]
Here’s what we got! A pepper, a cucumber, another white eggplant, a bunch of carrots, fennel (?) Bag of greens, bag of basil, green onions (hiding), micellaneous corn, a paper bag with…. ~Ten tomatoes Eight ears of corn! Closer look at the bag of greens, an onion, a yellow squash, a pepper (any guesses […]
Connect with Mrs Q
- blazy76: sorry to hear about your job worries. I would like...
- Marcia Powell: Sarah, You have so many talents, and you took o...
- Shawna: I'm not a fan of the boomerang lunch program - fo...
- Chicago's School Lunch Hero - Organic Connections: […] in the cafeteria of the public school wh...
- Monica Marble: I just wanted to echo the sentiments regarding not...
- The Giveaway Winner is… October 16, 2013
- The Search for Meaningful Work, Post “Mrs Q” – Advice please October 8, 2013
- Two Years Ago Today Mrs Q Revealed + A Giveaway! October 5, 2013
- Guest Blog: Foer’s Virtual Visits September 16, 2013
- Being reflective September 16, 2013