In the News: Videos

Changing things up a bit today. Some videos I enjoyed…hoping you will too!

***

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead Trailer
Awesome new documentary – (via Civil Eats)

***

Official Let’s Move! video featuring Beyonce! (via Obama Foodorama)
Sometimes I want to break into song and dance around the cafeteria too — I just don’t look as good as she does. Also, I wear a supportive bra…!

***

French graffiti artist JR’s TED talk on changing the world (via Penny de los Santos)
JR won the 2011 TED prize (remember the prize that Jamie Oliver won in 2010? — same one)

***

“Journey” (via Ordinary Courage)
A beautiful short video

***

11 Responses to In the News: Videos

1. Becca May 16, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Hey, I just saw this and thought it was interesting. We are feeding inmates and our school children almost the same!

2. Jill in Chicago May 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Don't forget "Forks Over Knives", which opened last Friday!

There's a small segment on school lunches and how they relate to government subsidies of the food/dairy industry.

3. Hilary May 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Thanks for posting the Beyonce video! The last two weeks, we've done this routine in Zumba classes (the instructor took the choreography from the video and told us about it), but I keep forgetting to look for the actual video.

4. Kim May 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Holy Gloria Steinem flashback! Even those of us who burned our bras way back in the 60's and 70's know enough to wear a sports bra when we work out or jump around like that. A parody of this is sure to wind up on SNL or South Park, and deservedly so. Have the Let's Move campaign people lost their minds or just their sense of reasonableness and good judgment???

5. Anonymous May 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

Wow….those things could take an eye out! I have to admit I had a hard time concentrating on the "message" of the song when her boobs were going two different directions at once.

6. Jesse May 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

I love that the Beyonce video shows that you can be a chunky kid and still get down! 🙂

7. Mrs. Q May 17, 2011 at 1:03 am #

The "Let's Move!" video turned into a video about Beyonce. She's great and everything, but we already know that she can "move her body" like she encourages any kids watching it. Personally, I'd be intimidated by this video and I'd like to see more kids being front and center.

8. Kim May 17, 2011 at 1:32 am #

Well said, Mrs. Q.

9. Hilary May 17, 2011 at 2:35 am #

Mrs. Q-at least in my area, it is being used to motivate students, which I think is the most important thing. I'm the commenter above who said we did it in zumba…the instructor found at about it from her son, who said they talked about it in school and actually were planning on doing it in gym class. The focus on Beyonce rather than the children in the video can lead more people to want to try to do it in my opinion. If I see a random child doing a dance to a song, I'm not going to be tempted to try it. I'm an adult in my late 20's, so I can't speak for a child's mind, but children look up to pop stars, so it's probably "cool" in their mind that Beyonce is doing it and might motivate them more.

10. toenail fungus treatments May 17, 2011 at 5:34 am #

These videos are great and very entertaining.

11. Varanid May 18, 2011 at 4:32 am #

Well, I applaud the guy for losing the weight (I started at 310 too!) but I don't know that I consider only subsisting on veggie smoothies for 60 days to be the best way to do it. We'll see how much he keeps off for 2-3 years