Day 112: pizza

Today’s menu: cheese pizza, salad, orange, popcorn chips.

I’m so excited about the return of salad! I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth and wish for more veggies (like you guys commented on last week Friday). Anyway, I was happy again.

I just couldn’t eat the whole pizza today, but I ate the salad and chips.

***

I’m taking the night off tonight, folks!

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Day 112: pizza

1. Yolanda September 24, 2010 at 2:22 am #

I'm glad they brought the salad back. When I'm at home I do the same thing. (I'm in college, Education Major)

I have never seen those chips before in stores though. Maybe its a regional thing.

2. Ms.T September 24, 2010 at 4:15 am #

Hooray for the salad coming back. 🙂 It's also nice to see the orange. Now if they could just serve up a better protein!

3. Viki September 24, 2010 at 10:23 am #

A salad AND and orange!
    I don't understand why they don't cut up the orange. I'm sure the kids don't eat them as it is too difficult and time consuming to try and peel them for little fingers.

I know they ate those chips though!
    Hope you had a restful evening!

4. Jay September 24, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

How would you describe the quality of the salad? Have you noticed if the kids eat the salad?

5. Destinaish Unknown September 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

What the H is a popcorn potato chip?!

6. Anonymous September 24, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

So maybe this is an obvious question… but how do you take pictures of your food everyday and not raise suspicion??

7. Anonymous September 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

Thought I would share what I hope is good news for my district. Take a look at http://www.lincolnschools.org/menus.htm and you can see that change is coming! I am so excited about some of the variety offered!

Mrs. R in Ruston, LA

8. Chelsea September 24, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

Hm I didn't like the look of the salad at first, but it may be a sign of good things to come. The vast majority of what's on your tray every day comes prepackaged and is reheated; it looks like the salad may have actually been assembled in the kitchen though!

It's not exactly advanced culinary techniques at work here, but I'd say that it's at step in the right direction.

9. becboo84 September 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

@ Anon, I think in a prev post towards the very beginning of her project, Mrs. Q mentioned that she does it on the sly with her cell phone.

10. Kim September 24, 2010 at 6:13 pm #

Quaker makes some chips similar to those. They're called something like "popcorn crisps." In my local supermarkets, they stocked next to rice cakes.

It's too bad, once again, that the salad is little more than iceberg which offers little to nothing in the way of nutrition. It's also a shame that the oranges aren't cut up before they're served or that the kids aren't allowed to take them out of the lunch room to be eaten in the afternoon. What a terrible waste.

11. Mrs. Q September 24, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

Thanks for your comments! I also have never seen those chips in the stores. I'm a HUGE fan of popcorn, but these chips…eh. Why can't we just serve popcorn!?!

12. Mrs. Q September 24, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

@anonymous I eat my lunch in my classroom and take a cell phone pic!

13. Adirondackcountrygal September 28, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

I have to say, I'm surprised at the "pre-packaged" look at the foods that are served. In our school district, the food is prepared in a kitchen and served from a steam table directly onto the trays. Lots of fresh fruit and veggie choices everyday including locally grown foods. Here is a Link to our school lunch program. Still a lot of "prepared" foods, but not still in the package.

14. Esmerelda Crow September 29, 2010 at 2:10 am #

Eeww… That photo of the pizza brought back some very bad school lunch memories for me. So gross! I went to school in Rhode Island and I remember once (this is even grosser) they served sweetbreads. I asked the lunch lady what it was, and she said, "It's brains." I still tell my mom how much I resent the fact that I had to have "hot lunch" on brains day! Pizza or brains…that salad looks wonderful in comparison!