Every month I complete of my project, I’m going to write a reflective follow-up on what happened (please pardon me that we are already one week into February):
18 school lunches eaten included:
(4 – pizza lunches)
(2 – hot dog lunches)
(2 – chicken patties)
(2 – cheese sandwiches)
(2 – pasta dishes)
(1 – PB&J that I will never forget…)
(…other meals you will have to check out for yourself…)
What I learned about school lunch:
1) More people than I ever expected are interested in improving school lunch and reading about my misadventures.
2) School lunches normally consist of a main dish with some some meat product (often combined with a grain), a fruit product, a vegetable product, milk, and an additional grain if the meal needs it to comply with federal regulations.
3) The meals contain a lot of processed food items.
4) The food is bland and usually tasteless.
5) There is a lot of salt in the meals and they are low in fiber for the most part
What I learned about myself:
1) I finally figured out that I’m lactose-intolerant (I wasn’t drinking a lot of milk before so I never knew)
2) I’m proud of myself
3) I’m enjoying the project more than I expected